- 好快!10天学会常用英语短语
- 兰颖编著
- 4568字
- 2023-07-07 20:15:47
DAY 1 a big headache~aware of
a big headache 令人头痛的事情
They are a big headache.
他们真让人头痛。
Trying to make the children eating is a big headache.
设法使孩子们吃饭是一件麻烦事。
You may save yourself a big headache and a lot of money, too.
这样你既能免去一件头疼的事,还能省下大笔的钱。
a few 少数,几个
He asked us a few questions.
他问了我们几个问题。
Pam called to say she's going to be a few minutes late.
帕姆打电话说她要晚几分钟。
—How many potatoes do you want?
你想要多少土豆?
—Oh, just a few, please.
哦,就要几个。
a little 少量的,稍许的;少量,一点
I need a little help to move these books.
我需要人来帮点儿忙搬这些书。
There was a lot of food but I only ate a little.
食物很多,但我只吃了一点儿。
If you've got any spare milk, could you give me a little?
你要是有多余的牛奶,能不能给我一些?
☆spare/speə(r)/adj.多余的,剩余的
a lot of 许多的
What a lot of presents!
这么多的礼物!
I haven't got a lot of time.
我没有那么多的时间。
They paid a lot of money for that house.
他们为那所房子支付了很多钱。
a series of 一系列,一连串
The book grew out of a series of lectures.
这书是由一系列讲稿编写而成的。
This autumn the TV station will be showing a series of French films.
今年秋天电视台将放映一系列法国电影。
Staff will hold a series of meetings over the next few weeks.
在接下来的几周里,员工将举行一系列会议。
☆lecture/'lektʃə/n.演讲,讲课
above all 首先,尤其是
Above all, I'd like to thank my team members.
最重要的是,我要感谢我的团队。
Above all, tell the truth.
最重要的是说出真相。
Max is hardworking, cheerful, and above all honest.
曼克斯勤奋、乐观,最重要的是诚实。
☆cheerful/'tʃiəfʊl/adj.精神振奋的,快乐的
absent from 不在,缺席
John has been absent from school for three days now.
约翰现在已经缺课三天了。
Two students are absent from class today.
今天有两名学生缺课。
Wasn't Jack absent from work again?
杰克又没来上班吗?
abundant in 富于
Life is meant to be abundant in all areas.
生活意味着在各个方面都应当富足。
Cheap consumer goods are abundant in this part of the world.
大量的廉价消费品存在于这个世界上。
Fossil fuels are abundant in the vast continent.
在这片广阔的大陆上,化石燃料非常丰富。
☆fossil/'fɒs(ə)l/n.化石
☆continent/'kɒntinənt/n.大陆,洲
add to 增加(add up to)
I have nothing to add to my earlier statement.
我对我先前说的话没有什么补充的。
I don't want to add to your troubles.
我不想给你增加麻烦。
Two added to five makes seven.
2加5等于7。
after all 毕竟,终究,到底
I do like her—after all, she is my sister.
我当然喜欢她——她毕竟是我妹妹。
So you've come after all!
你到底还是来了!
After all, what does it matter?
归根结底,那有什么关系呢?
agree on/upon 对……意见一致
We agree on the question.
我们在这个问题上意见一致。
We couldn't agree on a date.
关于日期我们未能取得一致意见。
The two sides agreed on ceasing fire.
双方达成了停火协议。
☆cease/siːs/v.停止,中止
aim at 瞄准;针对;努力,力争
He aimed at the target, fired and missed it.
他瞄准目标开火,却未打中。
My remarks didn't aim at you.
我的话并非针对你说的。
We must aim at increasing/to increase exports.
我们要力求增加出口货物。
☆remark/ri'mɑːk/n.评论,评述
all over again 再一次,重新
He did the work so badly that I had to do it all over again myself.
他干得太差劲了,我只好自己重做。
I'll have to write it all over again.
我得从头再写一遍。
She had screwed up and had to do it all over again.
她把事情搞砸了,得重新做。
☆screw up 把……弄糟
all the same 都一样,无所谓;尽管如此,仍然
It rained every day of our holiday—but we had a good time all the same.
我们的假期每天都下雨——但我们还是玩得很高兴。
All the same, there's some truth in what she says.
即便这样,她的话也还是有些道理。
I wasn't able to use your dictionary, but thanks all the same.
我没用上您的字典,但还是要谢谢您。
all the time 一直,始终
That letter I was searching for was in my pocket all the time.
我找的那封信其实一直就在我的口袋里。
He's a business man all the time.
他一直都在做生意。
Conditions are changing all the time.
情况始终都在变化。
☆condition/kən'diʃ(ə)n/n.状况,情况
angry with/at 生气,愤怒
I got really angry with her.
我真的很生她的气。
I was angry with myself for making such a stupid mistake.
我因为犯了这么愚蠢的错误而生自己的气。
He's really angry at/with me for upsetting Sophie.
因为打扰索菲,他真生我的气了。
☆stupid/'stjuːpid/adj.愚蠢的,傻的
☆upset/ʌp'set/v.使心烦意乱,搅乱
anxious about/for 忧虑,担心
John is anxious about his exam results.
约翰为考试结果而担忧。
I am very anxious about my son's health.
我非常担心儿子的健康。
We were anxious about/for you.
我们为你担心。
apart from 除……外(有/无)
I've finished apart from the last question.
除了最后一道题,我全做完了。
Apart from the ending, it's a really good film.
除了结局外,这其实是一部好电影。
We didn't see anyone all day, apart from a couple of kids on the beach.
我们整天都没看见什么人,除了在沙滩上有几个孩子。
appeal to 吸引;申诉;请求
Does this piece of music appeal to you?
你对这首音乐感兴趣吗?
She appealed to the high court against her sentence.
她不服判决而向高等法院上诉。
They appealed to him for abandoning the idea.
他们请求他放弃这个想法。
☆sentence/'sent(ə)ns/n.判决,宣判
☆abandon/ə'bænd(ə)n/v.遗弃,抛弃,离弃
apply for 申请
He encouraged me to apply for the job.
他鼓励我去申请那份工作。
Many people have applied for the job.
许多人都申请了这项工作。
I made up my mind to apply for a scholarship.
我决定申请奖学金。
☆make up one’s mind 决定,下决心
☆scholarship/'skɔləʃip/n.奖学金
apply to 适用
What I have said only applies to some of you.
我所说的只适用于你们当中的一部分人。
The rules of safe driving apply to everyone.
安全驾驶的规则适用于每个人。
as a matter of fact 事实上,实际上
As a matter of fact, I have no interest in math.
事实上,我对数学不感兴趣。
I'm going there tomorrow, as a matter of fact.
其实,我明天是准备去那里。
—Have you always been here?
你一直都住在这儿吗?
—As a matter of fact I've only been here for the last three years.
事实上,我三年前才住在这儿。
as a result(of)因此,由于
The flight was delayed as a result of fog.
因有雾该航班误点。
He lost his job as a result of the dispute.
由于这次争端,他丢掉了工作。
He was late as a result of the snow.
由于大雪他迟到了。
☆delay/di'lei/v.耽搁,延误
☆dispute/di'spjuːt/n.争论,辩论
as far as 远至,直到,到……程度,就……
I'll walk with you as far as the post office.
我陪你走到邮局。
As far as I can see, that is highly unlikely.
依我看那是极不可能的。
We've got as far as collecting our data but we haven't analysed it yet.
我们已收集了资料,但尚未分析。
☆analyse/'ænəlaiz/v.分析
as for 至于,关于
As for you, you ought to be ashamed of yourself.
至于你,你应该感到惭愧。
As for the hotel, it was very uncomfortable and miles from the sea.
至于旅馆呢,非常不舒服,而且离海边有好几英里呢。
He likes summer, but as for me, I like winter much better.
他喜欢夏天,但是对我来说,我则更喜欢冬天。
☆ashamed/ə'ʃeimd/adj.感到羞耻的,感到惭愧的
as if 好像,仿佛
He behaved as if nothing had happened.
他装作若无其事的样子。
It looks as if it will rain before long.
看起来一会儿就要下雨了。
I feel as if I have been in a different world.
我感觉好像置于一个世外桃源。
☆behave/bi'heiv/v.表现,行为
as/so long as 只要;既然,由于
As long as it doesn't rain we can play.
只要不下雨,我们就能玩。
You can go out to play as long as you stay in the back yard.
只要你待在后院,你可以出去玩。
As long as we've driven this far, we might as well go on.
既然我们已经升得这么远了,就不妨继续往前升。
as regards 关于,至于
I have little information as regards his past.
我对他过去的情况不太了解。
As regards attending the meeting, I haven't decided yet.
关于那个会议,我还没有决定是否参加。
As regards that matter I'm quite of your opinion.
关于那件事,我很同意你的意见。
as soon as 一……就……;立即……;不迟于……
He left as soon as he heard the news.
他一听到这事儿就走了。
I'll tell him as soon as I see him.
我一见到他就告诉他。
He didn't arrive as soon as we'd hoped.
他到达的时间比我们预期的要迟。
as though 好像,仿佛
He rubbed his eyes and yawned as though waking up after a long sleep.
他又揉眼睛又打哈欠,好像睡了一大觉刚醒似的。
It looks as though everyone else has gone home.
看起来好像大家都回家了。
It sounds as though there is a knock at the door.
听起来好像有人在敲门。
☆rub/rʌb/v.揉,搓
☆yawn/jɔːn/v.打哈欠
as usual 像平常一样,照例,照常
You're late, as usual.
你像平常一样又迟到了。
As usual, there weren't many people at the meeting.
像往常一样,来开会的人不多。
On Sundays he gets up early as usual.
星期天他照常起得很早。
as well as 除……外(也),既……又……
He grows flowers as well as vegetables.
他既种菜也种花。
She is a talented musician as well as being a photographer.
她不但是个天才的音乐家还是摄影师。
She can speak Japanese as well as English.
她会说日语和英语。
☆talented/'tæləntid/adj.有才能的,有才干的
☆photographer/fə'tɒgrəfə/n.摄影师
ask about 询问,了解
He went to the station to ask about the trains.
他到火车站去了解火车情况。
Ask about the ring you lost, he may have found it.
就你丢戒指这事去问问——也许他捡到了。
It is impolite to ask about other people's income.
问别人的收入是不礼貌的。
☆impolite/impə'lait/adj.粗鲁的,不礼貌的
☆income/'iŋkʌm/n.收入
ask for 请求,要求
Did you ask for a pay increase?
你请求加薪了吗?
May I ask for your views on a few questions?
我能否请你谈谈对几个问题的看法?
Ask for a refund if the goods are faulty.
商品如有缺陷,可要求退款。
☆refund/riːfʌnd/n.退款
☆faulty/'fɔːlti/adj.有错误的,有缺点的,出毛病的
ask off 请假
You are not allowed to ask off.
不准你请假。
I want to ask off for my birthday today.
今天是我的生日,我想请假。
If it is really necessary for me to go there, I shall have to ask off.
如果我真的必须到那里去,那我就只好请假了。
at all 完全,丝毫;究竟;果然
He had no food at all.
他一点儿食物也没有了。
I'm afraid I've got nothing at all to say.
恐怕我完全没有什么要说的。
Do you know at all?
你究竟知道不知道?
at first 最初,起先
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.
一次不成功,那就再接再厉地干下去。
The finding was at first puzzling.
该发现起初让人感到困惑。
At first I thought he was joking but then I realized he meant it.
起初我还以为他是开玩笑,但之后我意识到他是认真的。
at first sight 乍一看,初看起来
I took against him at first sight.
第一次见面我就讨厌他了。
They fell in love at first sight.
他们一见钟情。
At first sight this seems crazy.
乍看上去这似乎挺疯狂的。
at large 大多数;未被捕获的
The escaped prisoner is still at large.
越狱犯依然在逃。
The question is discussed at large in my report.
我在报告中对该问题做了详细的探讨。
The country at large is hoping for great changes.
这个国家普遍来说都希望有大变化。
☆prisoner/'priznə(r)/n.囚徒
at last 终于,最后,到底
I've finished my essay at last!
我终于完成了文章!
At last we were home!
我们终于到家了!
At last a compromise was agreed on.
通过互让最终达成折中协议。
☆compromise/'kɔmprəmaiz/n.妥协,和解
at least 至少,最少
It will cost at least $100.
这至少要花费100美元。
You'll have to wait at least an hour.
你至少得等一个小时。
We should brush our teeth at least twice a day.
我们每天应该至少刷两次牙。
at most 至多,不超过
At most I might earn $250 a day.
我一天最多可挣250美元。
There were 50 people there, at most.
那里最多有50人。
She's 25 years old, at most.
她最多25岁。
at once 立刻,马上;同时
Come here at once!
立刻到这里来!
Don't all speak at once!
不要大家一起说!
I can't do two things at once.
我无法同时做两件事。
at one time 曾经,一度;同时
At one time I used to go skiing every winter.
我曾经每到冬季就去滑雪。
At one time we met frequently.
过去我们曾常常见面。
He was at one time so devoted to playing piano.
他曾经那么沉迷于弹钢琴。
☆devote/di'vəʊt/v.为某人/某事物付出(时间、精力等)
at present 目前,现在
—Are you busy?
你忙吗?
—Not at present.
现在不忙。
At present she's working abroad.
她现在在国外工作。
I'm afraid I can't help you just at present, I'm too busy.
很抱歉,我现在帮不了你,实在太忙了。
at the beginning/start 在……开头
The cold weather broke at the beginning of April.
寒冷的天气到四月初开始变暖了。
We're going to New York at the beginning of July.
我们七月初要去纽约。
However the reform is hindered at the beginning.
但是,改革一开始就受到阻碍。
☆reform/ri'fɔːm/n.改革,改造
☆hinder/'hində(r)/v.阻碍,妨碍
at the cost of 以……为代价
It is not good for young ladies to keep slim at the cost of their health.
年轻女士牺牲健康来减肥是不可取的。
She saved him from drowning, but only at the cost of her own life.
他遇溺时她把他救了,但却牺牲了自己的生命。
He succeeded only at the cost of his health.
他成功了,身体却垮了。
at the expense of 由……付费,由……负担费用;以……为代价
His fame was bought at the expense of health and happiness.
他获得了名声却牺牲了健康和幸福。
He built up a successful business but it was all done at the expense of his health.
他创建的企业很成功,但这一切却以他的健康为代价。
He devoted his time to football at the expense of his studies.
他全然不顾学习,把全部时间都用于踢球。
at the latest 最迟
I should be back by 11 o'clock at the latest.
我应该最晚11点回来。
Passengers should check in one hour before their flight time at the latest.
乘客最迟应在班机起飞前一小时办理登机手续。
I'll give you a definite answer on Friday at the latest.
我最迟星期五给你一个确切的答复。
at the moment 此刻,目前
I'm afraid she's not here at the moment.
我恐怕她现在不在这儿。
The number is engaged at the moment. Try again in five minutes.
这个号码现在占线,五分钟后再试试吧。
He's unemployed at the moment and has been for over six months.
他目前失业,已经有半年多了。
at the same time 同时,一起;但是,然而
Don't all speak at the same time.
大家别同时说。
She was laughing and crying at the same time.
她一面笑一面哭。
You've got to be firm, but at the same time you must be sympathetic.
你态度要强硬,但还必须有同情心。
☆sympathetic/simpə'θetik/adj.同情的,表示同情的
at the worst 在最坏的情况下,从坏处想
At the worst we'll have to sell the house so as to settle our debts.
实在没办法我们就得把房子卖了还债。
At the worst, I will have to tell her the truth.
如果实在没办法,我就只能告诉她真相了。
Consider the problem at the worst.
从最坏的情况考虑这个问题。
at times 有时,间或
Life is hard at times.
生活有时候是艰难的。
You can be really annoying at times, you know.
你知道吗,你有时候真的很烦人。
Everyone may make mistakes at times.
每个人不时都会犯错误。
☆annoying/ə'nɔiiŋ/adj.使人气恼的,讨厌的
aware of 意识到
Are you aware of the time?
你知道是什么时候了吗?
It happened without my being aware of it.
事情在我不知不觉中发生了。
I am acutely aware of the difficulties we face.
我十分清楚我们面临的困难。