1909年英国插画大师查尔斯·埃德蒙·布洛克(1870—1938)为《爱玛》绘制的彩插

“I planned the match from that hour.”

“从那时起,我就计划撮合他们两个。”

——第一卷 01

As she was so fond of it, it should be called her cow.

她很喜欢那头小母牛。

——第一卷 04

Frequently coming to look.

他不时过来看看。

——第一卷 06

He was very sure there must be a lady in the case.

佩里先生不明其意,却很肯定这事与一位女士有关。

——第一卷 09

“You and I will have a nice basin of gruel together.”

“我们两个一起喝一碗粥。”

——第一卷 12

She… left the sofa.

她从沙发上站起来。

——第一卷 15

“Ma’am… do you hear what Miss Woodhouse is so obliging to say about Jane’s handwriting?”

“母亲,你听没听到伍德豪斯小姐夸赞简的字写得好?”

——第二卷 01

He stopt… to look in.

他停了几分钟,向里张望。

——第二卷 06

“Ah, he is off. He never can bear to be thanked.”

“啊,他走了。人家一谢他,他就不好意思了。”

——第二卷 10

“I have the pleasure, madam, of restoring your spectacles.”

“我很荣幸替你修好了眼镜。”

——第二卷 10

What was to be done?

该怎么办才好?

——第二卷 11

“I see very few pearls in the room except mine.”

“在这里,除了我,就没见有别人佩戴珍珠呢。”

——第三卷 02

The terror… was then their own portion.

如今轮到他们自己害怕了。

——第三卷 03

“I shall be sure to say three dull things as soon as ever I open my mouth, shan’t I?”

“我一开口,准会说三段无聊的话,是不是?”

——第三卷 07

“Jane Fairfax! Good God! You are not serious?”

“简·费尔法克斯!天哪!你不是认真的吧?”

——第三卷 10

“My dearest, most beloved Emma, tell me at once.”

“我最爱的爱玛……马上告诉我吧。”

——第三卷 13

She absolutely refused to allow me.

她断然拒绝了。

——第三卷 14

“Half an hour… shut up with my housekeeper.”

“我想我就跟管家谈了半个钟头。”

——第三卷 14

There was no longer a want of subject.

他们就不缺话题了。

——第三卷 18